In glorious sunshine Moseley School finally opened its doors to a bright new future.
In the early summer sunshine of June 2013 and, as the two year building project at Moseley School neared its conclusion, Moseley’s new school building was officially opened with a tangible excitement and more than a little light relief. Crowds of current and former students and staff turned out to welcome the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, Councillor Mike Leddy who, after being interviewed by a small group of students for the school magazine, embarked on a guided tour of Moseley’s historic grade ll Spring Hill College, led by our very own historian and former pupil Keith Townsend. Accompanied by Head Teacher Craig Jansen and a number of invited guests the mayor then walked the short distance downhill to unveil a plaque and officially open the impressive new building which is located between the old Grammar and Secondary Modern Schools on the site previously occupied by the 1950’s canteen block and bike sheds.
This building now replaces the recently demolished College Road buildings. In a short speech he emphasized the importance of a good, clean and safe environment in which to nurture the talents of Birmingham’s youth.
Whilst touring the new facilities, accompanied by head boy Hamsa Sultan and head girl Aliya Aksar, the mayor chatted with former pupils BBC TV presenter Joanne Malin and Frank Malcom. Frank, a former College Road Senior School and Moseley Modern School boy, had travelled from his adopted home town of Mount Annan in New South Wales, Australia where he now lives with his wife Barbara. The tour ended with the cutting of a centre piece cake to feed 500.
A number of attractions were enjoyed by visitors throughout the day including a very impressive free curry lunch provided by the schools catering staff, an exhibition Headteacher’s Xl V’s Attock Chairman’s cricket match, a magician, face painting, craft stalls, bouncy castle, archive displays, petting zoo, fire engine, mock-tail bar and musical entertainment by Moseley ukulele band Moselele.
2013 also marks Moseley’s 90th anniversary. In 1923 Moseley Secondary School first opened its doors at Spring Hill College and members of our association were on hand throughout the day to give guided tours of this recently refurbished building together with the ever popular trips up Moseley’s iconic 120 foot tower. The archive group had arranged a number of displays in the former library featuring a selection of items taken from our archives to give an insight into the buildings varied history from non-conformist ministry through hydropathic establishment, botanical gardens, military barracks, training centre for disabled ex-servicemen, orphanage and finally to school.
From a position in the sunshine outside the old foyer entrance Vic Corner had a successful day signing up new members to our association and Tony Wright sold his
Moseley memorabilia wares in true market style, despite the breeze trying to blow his stall away. Buoyed up by free curry and cake Keith Townsend, Richard Cobb, Roger Green and Gaye Key led regular guided tours around the old bricks and mortar assisted by Karen and Dave Fumpston and Dipak Ambaram. The event itself was largely organised by the school with the association in a supporting role.